In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Hotels in Duluth, MN
|Beacon Pointe Resort
|Park Point Marina Inn
|Best Budget Hotel
|Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth-Downtown
|Best Luxury Hotel
|Best Hotel for Families
|Canal Park Lodge
Our Top Pick: Beacon Pointe Resort
After careful consideration, our top pick of Duluth hotels is the Beacon Pointe Resort. No matter the purpose of your visit or your group size, this one-of-a-kind type of hotel offers a degree of comfort and luxury that, together with its truly outstanding location, are sure to make your stay one you’ll want to repeat sometime very soon.
So, what does that Beacon Pointe Resort have going for it that other hotels in the area don’t? Well, although there was a great deal of worthy competition, the Beacon Pointe Resort won our vote on account of scoring highly in every desirable feature—comfort, amenities, luxury, room size, livability, access to local attractions, value for money, and customer service—but most importantly because it absolutely blew its closest competitors away in the location stakes. Situated just a dozen steps from the shores of Lake Superior and not a great deal further from the beginning of the 2.7-mile Lakewalk, this hotel occupies some of the finest real estate in all of the 50 states, let alone the Midwest!
With regards to amenities, the Beacon Pointe Resort ticks all the boxes on our list and even throws in a couple of boxes all of its own making, boasting private balconies and kitchenettes in every room, free parking and bike rental, a pool, a sauna, fitness center, and nightly s’mores toasted around a communal bonfire.
Beacon Pointe Resort Key Features:
- Located on Lake Superior
- Laid-back vibe
- Spacious rooms with balconies and kitchenettes
- Amenities include free parking, bike rental, a pool, sauna, fitness center, and a nightly bonfire
Our Runner Up Pick: Park Point Marina Inn
“A modern hotel with spacious and very comfortable rooms located directly in front of the Harbor Cove Marina.Check Price
Located a mere 50 feet from the water’s edge at Harbor Cove Marina, the Park Point Marina Inn is another Duluth hotel offering simply stunning views of Lake Superior. With 63 of its 68 rooms featuring decks (the highest percentage of any hotel in Duluth, it claims), they don’t come much better for visitors on a romantic break or who just want to spend some quality downtime listening to the gentle lapping of water in the harbor while enjoying the truly exquisite scenery directly in front of them.
The Park Point Marina Inn isn’t just about the views, either. Its amenities include free parking, a breakfast buffet, a bar, a cozy lounge area with a fireplace, an indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, and fitness room. In terms of atmosphere, this hotel is very laid back, with quaint furnishings, very friendly staff, and the vast majority of its patrons happily reclined on the terrace or bar indulging the scenery.
This hotel is also just 4 blocks from the Aerial Lift Bridge and a 1-minute walk from the Park Point Recreation Area, where you can find BBQ grills, picnic tables, a kids’ playground, and, of course, even more outstanding views of the lake.
Park Point Marina Inn Key Features:
- Located just 50 feet from the water’s edge on Park Point
- 4 blocks from the Aerial Lift Bridge
- Amenities include free parking, a breakfast buffet, a bar, a lounge area with a fireplace, an indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, and fitness room
- Modern, laid-back vibe
Best Budget Pick: Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth-Downtown
“An informal and very affordable hotel located just a 2-minute walk from Duluth’s downtown waterfront and featuring a full array of attractive amenities.Check Price
For an affordable stay in a location that’s just as impressive and practical as that of many hotels that cost twice as much, look no further than Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown hotel. Set just four blocks from the start of the Lakewalk, North Shore Scenic Railroad, and Duluth’s downtown waterfront, this informal, relaxed residence places you at the heart of Duluth’s main attractions and within easy walking distance of the shops at Canal Park.
This hotel may lack some of the luxury and glamour of other hotels on our list but is a great choice for families, large groups looking to keep down costs, or anyone else more concerned with location and practicality than the elegance of their accommodation.
In terms of amenities, this hotel offers pretty much everything you could need, including free parking, complimentary shuttle, a casual restaurant and bar, a cafe and bakery, 2 indoor pools, a kids’ pool, a hot tub, a 24-hour gym, 9 meeting rooms, a 24/7 business center, and a games arcade.
Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth-Downtown Key Features:
- Located a 2-minute walk from downtown waterfront
- Kids stay for free with an adult
- Amenities include free parking, a complimentary shuttle, a casual restaurant and bar, a cafe and bakery, 2 indoor pools, a kids’ pool, a hot tub, a 24-hour gym, 9 meeting rooms, a 24/7 business center, and a games arcade
Best Luxury Hotel in Duluth, MN: Fitger’s Inn
“A historic hotel dating back to 1885 that oozes class, charm, and elegance and occupies one of the most exquisite spots on the Lake Superior waterfront.Check Price
For visitors eager to indulge themselves with a touch of luxury in a very atmospheric, classy residence imbued with historical appeal, they don’t come much better than the utterly unique Fitger’s Inn.
Fitger’s is situated in a restored 1885 brewery complex off Interstate 35 and overlooking Lake Superior, just a mile from Duluth’s historic Canal Park district and 7 miles from Duluth International Airport. It’s also within easy walking distance of Leif Erikson Park, Duluth Rose Garden and the Aerial Lift Bridge, all of which can be reached on the Duluth Lakewalk.
Fitger’s vibe is one that casually blends the quaint and historic and its amenities include a continental breakfast, 24-hour gym access, valet parking, 4 on-site restaurants, a nightclub, brewery tours, a museum, and a shopping center. Many of the rooms offer views of the lake and have a boutique-style elegance complemented by exposed-brick walls and refined, antique furnishings.
Fitger’s Inn Key Features:
- Located on the Duluth waterfront, just north of Park Point
- Situated in a restored 1885 brewery complex
- Within easy walking distance of the Aerial Lift Bridge, Canal Park, the Lakewalk, and Lief Erikson Park
- Amenities include 4 on-site restaurants, a nightclub, a museum, shopping center, gym, valet parking, and continental breakfast
Best Hotel for Families in Duluth, MN: Canal Park Lodge
“A mountain lodge-style residence that offers excellent lake views, easy access to the beach, and all the amenities you need to enjoy a memorable stay with all the family.Check Price
For visitors heading to Duluth to enjoy a break with all the family, the Canal Park Lodge merits its place somewhere very near the top of your list of potential hotels. This mountain-lodge style residence is located at the very heart of all Duluth has to offer and boasts every amenity needed to make your family’s stay fuss-free and full of fun.
The Canal Park Lodge is situated just 3 minutes on foot from the early-1900s Aerial Lift Bridge, directly opposite a pebbly beach, and within easy walking distance of the start of the Duluth Lakewalk. It is also just a short stroll from a handful of relaxed eateries, the Canal Park Brewing Company, art galleries, and museums.
The rooms in this hotel are casual and very spacious and the amenities include hot breakfast, parking, an indoor pool, a lobby bar, fitness center, a lounge with a fireplace, and coin-operated laundry.
Canal Park Lodge Key Features:
- Located on Park Point, a short distance from the Aerial Lift Bridge, Canal Park Brewing Company, a beach, shops, several restaurants, coffee shops, and ice-cream shops
- Mountain lodge-style residence
- Amenities include hot breakfast, parking, an indoor pool, a lobby bar, fitness center, a lounge with a fireplace, and coin-operated laundry
Who Should Visit Duluth, MN
Important Factors to Consider
- Budget. Duluth offers a fairly wide variety of hotels for users with all types of budget. As with other destinations, the pricier of these will generally offer the best amenities and higher levels of luxury, and, of particular importance with regard to your stay in Duluth, the best views of Lake Superior.
- Location. The good news with regard to location is that wherever you happen to stay in Duluth you’re sure to be within walking distance or a short drive of the shores of Lake Superior. The bad news is that, while many hotels offer views of the lake from their rooms and suites, many others do not. For the most part, getting clear views of the lake from your window—or, even better, your balcony or terrace—will mean choosing a room at the higher end of the price scale. If you are particularly keen to wake up to the sound of the lake’s waters lapping at the shore or harbor, hotels located on or along the Duluth Lakewalk or on Park Point at likely to be your best bet.
- Hotel type. Duluth boasts a number of hotels that are suitable for visitors there on business, as a family, for a romantic stay, with pets, and looking for either a low-cost bolthole to spend a few hours in between explorations of the area or a luxurious getaway to spend long days lounging in whilst enjoying the more upscale amenities. The only slight blot on Duluth’s copybook is the relative lack of out-and-out luxury hotels, with most upscale residences featuring a more laid-back, casual vibe than elsewhere in the US.
- Amenities. When booking your hotel in Duluth, it’s a good idea to list a few amenities that are non-negotiable (pet friendly, spa, and/or gym, balcony or terrace with lake views, for example) and work through the options using a process of elimination until you have created a shortlist. Most of the hotels in the area, even budget varieties, have gyms and pools, but a few family-owned hotels or B&Bs offer little more than free parking and continental breakfasts.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the best area to stay in Duluth, MN?
The best areas to stay in Duluth are generally those that provide the easiest access to the city’s most notable highlights, namely Lake Superior, Park Point, the Downtown Marina, and the restaurants, cafes, shops, and bars at Canal Park.
What should I see while I’m in Duluth?
How you choose to spend your time in Duluth with depend largely on the season in which you’re visiting, with some attractions and activities lending themselves more to summer-time visits and others to winter-time visits. That said, some must-see sights every visitor should add to their tick list at any time of year include the following:
- Great Lakes Aquarium (the only all-freshwater aquarium in the US)
- The Aerial Lift Bridge, which spans the Duluth Ship Canal into the Duluth–Superior Harbor
- Minnesota Point (aka Park Point), the world’s longest freshwater baymouth bar
- Lake Superior Railroad Museum
- Split Rock Lighthouse
- North Shore Scenic Drive
- Enger Park and Tower
- Canal Park
- Glensheen Historic Congdon Estate
- Duluth Downtown Lakewalk
- Fitger’s Brewery
How many hotel rooms are in Duluth, MN?
According to a report in Duluth News Tribune, at the time of writing Duluth is home to around 3,330 hotel rooms.
How much is a cab from the Duluth airport to downtown?
At the time of writing, the cab fare from Duluth International Airport (DLH) to downtown is $20-25.
Other Hotels in Duluth We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other hotels in Duluth. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best hotels in Duluth list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your trip. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Budget Hotels in Duluth
A straightforward, traditional hotel that combines fuss-free functionality with an absolutely outstanding, unique location on the edge of Superior Bay.
Barkers Island Inn Resort & Conference Center Key Features:
- Located on Barker’s Island in Superior Bay with direct access to waterfront
- Pet friendly
- Amenities include complimentary weekday breakfast, an indoor pool, an on-site restaurant, lounge, and bar, a games room, free parking, a fitness center, and conference facilities
It might be a little out of the way as regard access to the city center, but this hotel offers superbly comfortable accommodation and an array of outstanding amenities just 2 miles from Duluth International Airport.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Duluth North Key Features:
- Located off Miller Trunk Highway, is 2 miles from Duluth International Airport and 10 miles from Spirit Mountain Ski Area
- Pet friendly
- Family suites feature kitchenettes with dining areas
- Amenities include an airport shuttle, hot breakfast buffet, a gym, a heated indoor pool with a water slide, hot tub, and a kids’ pool with a fountain
This very laid-back hotel offers spacious rooms, a cozy, informal vibe, and excellent amenities just a mile from the Spirit Mountain Recreation Area, 4 miles from Lake Superior Zoo and 6 miles from Duluth Children’s Museum.
Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth Key Features:
- Located off I-35, 7 miles from Duluth city center, 1 mile from Spirit Mountain Recreation Area
- Laid-back, informal vibe
- Amenities include hot breakfast, free parking, a 24-hour gym, a hot tub, heated indoor pool, and laundry facilities
This centrally located hostel with cozy, utilitarian dorm rooms and a laid-back vibe is centrally located and a great choice for solo travelers looking to meet new people or just a place to lay their heads after a day exploring.
Hostel du Nord Key Features:
- Centrally located in Downtown area
- Laid-back, sociable vibe
- Amenities include a shared kitchen, a lounge, and a sauna
This hotel might be a little out of the way, but more than makes up for it with a warm, laid-back atmosphere and cozy, pine-paneled rooms.
Willard Munger Inn Key Features:
- Located a 14-minute walk from Lake Superior Zoo, 5 miles from Spirit Mountain ski area and 6 miles from downtown Duluth
- Low-key, laid-back vibe
- Pet friendly
- Amenities include a free breakfast buffet, a garden with BBQs and a fire pit, and loaner bikes
An informal, comfortable hotel located 3 miles from Spirit Mountain Ski Area, 4 miles from Lake Superior Zoo and 6 miles from Duluth downtown.
AmericInn by Wyndham, Proctor Duluth Black Woods Key Features:
- Located on Highway 2, just 3 miles from Spirit Mountain Ski Area and 6 miles from downtown Duluth
- Pet friendly
- Perks and amenities include free parking, hot breakfast, a restaurant and bar, meeting and event space, a gym, a heated indoor pool, a hot tub, and a sauna
A contemporary hotel with stylish, generously sized rooms and excellent amenities located in Superior, just one block from the shores of the lake, 6 miles from downtown Duluth and 12 miles from the airport.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Superior Key Features:
- Located 1 block from the lakeshore and 6 miles from downtown Duluth
- Modern rooms with work desks, cable TV, and free WiFi
- Amenities include hot breakfast buffet, an indoor pool, a gym, business center, meeting space, laundry, and free parking
Luxury Hotels in Duluth
Situated in the lively Canal Park, this lakefront hotel offers laid-back elegance and modern rooms in one of Duluth’s most outstanding locations.
The Inn on Lake Superior Key Features:
- Located in Canal Park on the waterfront
- Laid-back vibe and modern rooms
- Amenities include hot breakfast, free parking, loaner bikes, an indoor pool, a heated rooftop pool, and a 24-hour fitness center
This small, upscale, elegant B&B offers 5 plush suites with fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, and a more personal touch than most larger hotels in the area.
The Firelight Inn on Oregon Creek Bed and Breakfast Key Features:
- 5 plush suites with flat-screen TVs, period fireplaces, and private bathrooms with whirlpool tubs available
- Located just 3 miles from downtown Duluth
- Amenities include hot breakfast served in your room, on the porch or in an old world-style dining room, free parking, drinks and cookies, a living room with a baby grand piano, and a library
A stylish, modern hotel with lake views, large, comfortable rooms, and located just 50 years from the shores of Lake Superior.
Hampton Inn Duluth Canal Park Key Features:
- Located in Canal Park, overlooking Lake Superior and 1 mile from the North Shore Scenic Railroad
- All rooms include free Wi-Fi, custom-designed beds, desks, flat-screen TVs, mini-fridges, and coffeemakers
- Amenities include hot breakfasts, breakfast bags to go, an exercise room, an indoor pool, bike rentals, a meeting room, a business center, and free parking
An unpretentious, extended-stay hotel located in the Duluth Heights/Miller Hill area offering exceptionally comfortable rooms with a just-like-home vibe and outstanding amenities and communal spaces.
Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth Key Features:
- Located 3 miles from Duluth downtown
- Offers studios and 1- or 2-bedroom suites with Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, kitchens, sitting areas, pull-out sofas, and tea and coffee making facilities
- Amenities and perks include breakfast, parking, evening socials, BBQ grills, an indoor pool, a hot tub, gym, meeting space, study pods, and coin-operated laundry facilities
Located three miles from both the airport and downtown Duluth, this hotel offers a relaxed vibe in spacious, comfortable rooms with a touch more style and elegance than those in similarly priced residences closer to the city center.
Hampton Inn & Suites Duluth North/Mall Area Key Features:
- Located off US-53 in Duluth North, three miles from both the airport and downtown Duluth
- Modern vibe
- Amenities include free parking, hot breakfast, a heated indoor pool, a hot tub, gym and coin-operated laundry facilities
It may not be the most ‘affordable’ option out there, but this centrally located hotel is located just 3 minutes on foot from the shores of Lake Superior and offers far more in the way of luxury and more upscale amenities than most of its competitors.
Sheraton Duluth Hotel Key Features:
- Located just north of downtown Duluth, a 3-minute walk from the shores of Lake Superior and 5 minutes from the downtown waterfront
- Pet friendly
- Amenities include free parking is included, a restaurant, lounge, indoor pool, hot tub, exercise room, meeting rooms, business center, breakfast, and an airport shuttle service
Located in a redbrick building in Duluth Harbor and just one mile from both the Aerial Lift Bridge and Canal Park, this stylish, modern, elegant hotel combines a luxurious vibe with easy access to the best of everything Duluth has to offer.
Pier B Resort Hotel Key Features:
- Located in a redbrick building overlooking Duluth Harbor
- Pet friendly
- Rooms feature water or city views
- Amenities include free parking, seasonal loaner bikes, kayaks and paddle boards, a restaurant, a rooftop patio, a hot tub with harbor views, an indoor pool, a gym, boat docks, and a waterside fire pit
Family Hotels in Duluth, MN
A simple, modern, low-rise hotel with basic but very comfortable and spacious rooms located just 3.5 miles from both the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center and the Great Lakes Aquarium.
Comfort Inn West Key Features:
- Located near Hallett Dock, 3.5 miles from Duluth’s downtown waterfront
- Child care available
- Perks and amenities include a hot breakfast buffet, weeknight snacks, free parking, meeting rooms, an indoor heated pool, a hot tub and a sauna
This very relaxed hotel might lack some of the bells and whistles of its pricier competitors but excels in comfort and practicality. Conveniently located just 2 miles from the airport and 5 miles from the downtown waterfront.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Duluth North – Miller Hill Key Features:
- Located just 2 miles from the airport and 5 miles from downtown Duluth
- Relaxed vibe
- Family rooms available
- Amenities include a continental breakfast, heated indoor pool, a hot tub, gym, business center, and a meeting room
This unfussy, low-key hotel might be located just over the state border in Superior, Wisconsin, but merits inclusion on account of its low rates, easy access to downtown Duluth, and very welcoming atmosphere.
Boarders Inn & Suites by Cobblestone Hotels – Superior/Duluth Key Features:
- Located in Superior, just 3 miles from Lake Superior and less than ten minutes by car from downtown Duluth
- Laid-back, informal vibe
- Amenities include free continental breakfast, a heated indoor pool, a hot tub, gym, and free parking
- Kids under 18 stay for free
Located just a block from the Aerial Lift Bridge in Canal Park and surrounded by restaurants, this laid-back, all-suite hotel set in a century-old warehouse places you at the very heart of the action.
The Suites Hotel Key Features:
- Set in a circa-1890 warehouse in Canal Park
- 1- to 3-bedroom suites with Wi-Fi, TVs, and kitchenettes or full kitchens make it the ideal choice for families
- Amenities include free breakfast, an indoor pool, spa, gym, and a business center
This hotel offers spacious, modern rooms with lake or city views, outstanding amenities, and is located lakeside near the lively center of Canal Park.
Comfort Suites Canal Park Key Features:
- Set on the shores of Lake Superior, a 4-minute walk from the Canal Park shopping area
- Modern suites with lake or city views
- Childcare available
- Perks and amenities include a breakfast buffet, free parking, an indoor pool, a hot tub, a gym, a games room, a lounge with a fireplace, a patio with lake views, and a business center
Situated adjacent to Duluth’s iconic Aerial Lift Bridge, this casual, family-owned waterfront hotel offers outstanding views and places you within easy walking distance of all of Duluth’s main attractions.
South Pier Inn Key Features:
- Located in Canal Park, adjacent to the Aerial Lift Bridge and within easy walking distance of several restaurants and bars
- Family rooms available
- Easy access to the beach
- Amenities include a hot tub, business center, free parking, and continental breakfasts