North Carolina’s most populous city, Charlotte, is a hodgepodge of varying sources of allure, from areas of historical interest and hip art districts with breweries by the handful to upmarket business areas and neighborhoods steeped in old-school Southern charm. The city sprawls over 300 square miles and is home to nearly 250 hotels, meaning would-be visitors are spoiled for choice when it comes to deciding where to stay on their upcoming trip. In this article, however, we aim to simplify the decision-making process by introducing you to our selection of the top 25 hotels in Charlotte, NC for visitors with varying needs, tastes, and budgets.
We reviewed dozens of hotels in Charlotte, NC, to identify the very best of the best. We based our assessment on a range of factors, including cost, location, convenience, style, amenities, and average customer reviews.
Having considered a large number of hotels, we chose The Ballantyne as our top pick. This collection luxury hotel in south Charlotte offers a quiet, leafy, luxurious retreat a short drive from the buzz of the city center and an experience that is both homely and opulent at the same time.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Hotels in Charlotte, NC
|Best Overall||The Ballantyne Hotel||4.8|
|Runner Up||Kimpton Tryon Park Hotel||4.6|
|Best Budget Hotel||Residence Inn by Marriott Charlotte Northlake||4.8|
|Best Downtown Hotel||The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte||4.6|
|Best Hotel for Families||The Ivey's Hotel||4.6|
*Ratings are from Google Reviews at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: The Ballantyne Hotel
South Charlotte’s Ballantyne Hotel is not so much a landing pad for forays into the city as an oasis of luxury which you’ll be loathe to leave once you’ve laid eyes on its nigh on regal architecture and discovered the plentiful awesome amenities it has to offer.
Located in south Charlotte, the Ballantyne is just a short drive from the lively downtown area but offers visitors a ‘getaway’ in the true sense of the word owing to its resort-style setup, leafy, green surroundings, and such a comprehensive array of amenities that visitors need never leave the grounds.
The Ballantyne isn’t cheap, but in return for your additional outlay you’ll have luxurious, spacious rooms, access to 30,000 square feet of event space, social spaces, pools, a spa, tennis courts, and even an on-site golf course. It also boasts a posh eatery, the Carolinas’ largest whiskey collections, a 24-hour fitness room, and bike rentals that will allow you to explore the surrounding countryside, which just so happens to be nothing short of absolutely idyllic.
The Ballantyne Hotel Key Features:
- Located in south Charlotte
- Resort-style residence
- Amenities include an on-site golf course, tennis courts, spa, pools, social spaces, even spaces, fitness room, and upscale restaurant
- Idyllic setting
Our Runner Up Pick: Kimpton Tryon Park Hotel
A chic, upscale high-rise hotel with outstanding views and amenities located at the very heart of the Queen City.Check Price
Downtown Charlotte’s Kimpton Tryon Park Hotel offers visitors oodles of style and an upscale vibe at reasonably affordable prices. The hotel is located in a high-rise building just across the street from Romare Bearden Park, less than a mile from I-277 and a short walk from from the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art and the city’s main shopping areas and eateries.
What we love most about this hotel beyond its central location and plush style are the views that central location provide. From each of the Kimpton Tryon’s rooms, as well as from the terrace and restaurant, visitors are treated to views not only over the towering skyscrapers of Charlotte’s vibrant downtown but for miles in every direction through the floor-to-ceiling windows.
In terms of amenities, the Kimpton puts many of its similarly priced competitors distinctly in the shade, boasting a posh Italian restaurant, a rooftop bar and terrace, huge gym, yoga deck, and complimentary bikes to let you leave the car in the garage and explore your surroundings on two wheels instead of four.
Kimpton Tryon Park Hotel Key Features:
- Located in downtown high-rise building
- Floor-to-ceiling windows in rooms
- Pet friendly
- Amenities include on-site Italian restaurant, bar and terrace, a 24-hour gym, yoga deck, and complimentary bikes
Best Budget Pick: Residence Inn by Marriott Charlotte Northlake
This informal, laid-back suite offers very comfortable, spacious rooms just minutes away from Northlake Mall, Lake Norman, and is within easy driving distance of the heart of Uptown Charlotte.Check Price
For those willing to stay just a little further from the center of Charlotte, and also reap the rewards of a more casual, informal vibe, the Residence Inn by Marriott Charlotte Northlake is a great choice. This hotel offers excellent amenities, easy access to some of the area’s main sights and attractions, and a laid-back vibe all at very affordable prices.
Located in a commercial area just off Highway 21, the Residence Inn is a mile from both Interstate 77 and Northlake Mall, 9 miles from Lake Norman, and 10 miles from downtown Charlotte. While the hotel’s whereabouts might not put you at the heart of the action, they do mean you can have the best of both worlds by positioning you within easy driving distance of the more happening city center and far enough removed that ventures into the surrounding towns and countryside are easily done.
The Residence Inn doesn’t have quite the same glamour as the other hotels in our top-five list, but in terms of amenities offers more than you might expect given its very reasonable rates, including free parking, an outdoor pool, a gym, a terrace with a fire pit, social evenings, free breakfasts, a fitness center, and kitchens in all rooms.
Residence Inn by Marriott Charlotte Northlake Key Features:
- Located in Northlake, a short drive from downtown Charlotte, Northlake Mall, and Lake Norman
- Kitchens in all rooms
- On-site gym, swimming pool, parking, and terrace with firepit
- Pet friendly
Best Downtown Hotel in Charlotte, NC: The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
This super-swish, upmarket residence places you at the very heart of everything Charlotte has in store and offers a degree of opulence unmatched by nearly any other hotel in the area.Check Price
For visitors who place glitz and glamour high on their list of priorities when choosing their accommodation, they don’t come much better than Uptown Charlotte’s Ritz-Carlton.
This hotel not only offers reams of sophistication and just about the optimal array of amenities you could hope for in any hotel anywhere in the world, but is also located in downtown Charlotte’s lively First Ward neighborhood, which is home to the bustling 7th Street Public Market, the Levine Museum of the New South, the Blumenthal Performing Arts center, and the Spectrum Center, which basketball fans will recognize as the home ‘turf’ of the Charlotte Hornets.
In terms of amenities, the Ritz-Carlton doesn’t disappoint either, boasting 5 restaurants, bars and/or lounges serving bistro-style cuisine and signature cocktails, a luxury spa, indoor pool, a fitness center with personal trainers, event space galore, and a green rooftop with chef’s garden.
The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte Key Features:
- Located centrally in the First Ward neighborhood in Uptown Charlotte
- Rooms have 42-inch flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, 24-hour room service, and marble bathrooms with soaking tubs
- Amenities include 5 restaurants, a craft cocktail bar and lounge, a luxury spa, fitness center, green rooftop, and business center
- Pet friendly
Best Hotel for Families in Charlotte, NC: Hilton Garden Inn
This simple, unfussy hotel might be a little further out from the bustle of the city center but more than makes up for it with excellent amenities, a laid-back vibe, and a kids-stay-free policy.Check Price
Located in the Waverly residential, business and shopping community, the Hilton Garden Inn offers a very affordable, comfortable, and convenient stopover for all the family with easy access to a multitude of modern bars, cafes, and restaurants.
In terms of amenities, the Hilton Garden Inn ticks all the boxes, boasting complimentary parking, a 24-hour gym, rooftop pool, bar, restaurant, cooked-to-order breakfasts, and even a ballroom. The rooms are plain but perfectly kitted out for comfort, with large beds, lots of space, free Wi-Fi, HDTVs, minifridges, microwaves and coffeemakers.
And we haven’t even gotten to the best bit…visitors to the Garden Inn can bring their kids along for free, meaning you could potentially be in for some serious savings if you happen to be a family of four or more.
Hilton Garden Inn Key Features:
- Kids stay free
- Located in the Waverly residential, business and shopping community, 12 miles south of downtown Charlotte
- Amenities include complimentary parking, a 24-hour gym, rooftop pool, bar, restaurant, and cooked-to-order breakfasts
Who Should Visit Charlotte, NC
Whether you’re visiting Charlotte for a romantic weekend, for a family getaway, or as a solo traveler on business or just checking out the sights, The Queen City has a lot to offer in terms of atmosphere, attractions, entertainment, history, cuisine, and vibe. One of the features that strikes most visitors upon their arrival is the harmonious contrast between the contemporary and truly antique and the natural and man-made, with the city’s array of urban amenities, shopping, award-winning eateries and breweries, and towering skyscrapers seeming to complement rather than intrude upon the more subtle appeal of its plentiful green spaces and distinct, charm-laden, and characterful neighborhoods.
Some of the other unique features that make Charlotte an attractive and unique vacation destination include its extensive urban forests and greenways, the NoDa arts scene, its wealth of award-winning breweries, specialty museums, the gourmet offerings of the 7th Street Market, urban whitewater rafting at the U.S. National Whitewater Center, and more family-oriented attractions like the Carowinds theme park and the Carolina Raptor Center (a rehabilitation and conservation center for raptors, hawks, vultures, falcons, owls, and other birds of prey).
Important Features to Consider
A few important factors need to be taken into consideration when choosing a hotel. Here are the most important factors related to your stay in Charlotte, NC:
- Budget. Compared to other big cities in the US, Charlotte’s hotels, generally speaking, offer good value for money, whether you intend on staying in a budget-priced hotel or a more upscale hotel. One of the most pleasing things about visiting Charlotte is that both budget and fancier, pricier hotels can be found both on the quieter periphery of the city and in the livelier Uptown and downtown areas.
- Location. In terms of the geographical it encompasses, Charlotte is a large city. Its 300 square miles of urban sprawl is divided into numerous districts and neighborhoods, each with their own highlights and attractions and benefits and drawbacks for potential visitors. For more on what each neighborhood in the city has to offer, take a look at our list of the most popular neighborhoods in our Frequently Asked Questions section, below. More broadly speaking, the accommodation on offer in and around Charlotte might be divided into three categories – airport hotels, inner-city hotels, and hotels on the city’s periphery. The airport hotels tend to be no-nonsense, frill free affairs that excel in convenience but offer less in the way of luxury and, of course, access to the city’s main attractions. On the ‘pro’ side, they situate visitors who like a little more peace and quiet away from the hubbub of the city center and offer easy access to the airport – a plus if you happen to be making a ‘flying’ visit. Charlotte’s inner city hotels vary widely in terms of vibe, amenities, price, and quality, but place you at the heart of what it a very walkable city and never far from the more laid-back atmosphere and quaint environs on the city’s outskirts. The hotels on the city’s periphery range from modern, resort-style chain hotels to more boutique, lavish, historic residences that ooze charm and elegance and offer a true taste of old-school Southern hospitality but may lack the buzz of hotels located more centrally.
- Hotel type. Budget, boutique, family, luxury, or resort-style? The best type of hotel for your needs will ultimately come down to the nature of your visit and a few personal preferences as regards value for money, location, and amenities. For solo travelers, couples, families, and those visiting the city on business, Charlotte offers a wealth of options, but for those looking to enjoy a more authentic, Southern-style atmosphere and vibe the best options are, for the most part, located on the city’s periphery or at least outwith the modernized downtown area.
- Amenities. When booking your hotel, it’s a good idea to list a few amenities that are non-negotiable (pet friendly, spa, pool, and/or gym, for example) and work through the options using a process of elimination until you have created a shortlist. For the most part, hotels in the Charlotte area score highly in terms of the amenities on offer, with most boasting pools, gyms, on-site bars and restaurants, and many having resort-style premises that make the them self-contained hideaways you needn’t leave during your stay unless drawn by the appeal of the countless attractions in the city and its environs. Some of the most impressive amenities on offer in some of the more upmarket hotels on our list include rooftop terraces and restaurants, an airport/city shuttle service, sun terraces, and business centers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best area to stay in Charlotte, NC?
In spite of being such a large city, Charlotte is very easy to get around and features dozens of self-contained neighborhoods all with something a little bit different to offer. Below, we’ve added a short description of each area to help you choose:
- South End: The hip and happening home to no fewer than 9 breweries and several authentic southern eateries
- Uptown: Charlotte’s downtown city center, this area is home to towering skyscrapers, museums, shopping galore, and an enclosed skywalk by the name of Overstreet Mall that connects many shops and eateries
- NoDa: Short for ‘North Davidson’, the neighborhood’s main street, NoDa is the home of Charlotte’s arts scene and combines a mixture of historic buildings with street murals, galleries, breweries, and a hip vibe
- Plaza Midwood: A trendy residential neighborhood that combines shabby-chic tattoo shops, diners, vintage shops and high-end boutiques and restaurants
- Dilworth: A historic district that oozes charm and can be reached from downtown by way of an electric streetcar. Home to a handful of wine bars and quieter eateries
- Third Ward: The stomping ground of students and young professionals and home to dozens of low-key cafes and bars
How far is downtown Charlotte from the airport?
Downtown Charlotte is just under 8 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) and can be reached by car in just over 2o minutes.
How many hotel rooms are in Charlotte, NC?
According to Charlotte Center City Partners, at the time of writing Charlotte is home to just over 5,000 hotel rooms.
How much is a cab from the Charlotte airport to downtown?
At the time of writing, the flat rate from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) to downtown Charlotte is $25.00.
Other Hotels in Charlotte We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other hotels in Charlotte, NC. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best hotels in Charlotte list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your trip. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Budget Hotels in Charlotte, NC
- Downtown Hotels in Charlotte, NC
- Hotels for Families in Charlotte, NC
Budget Hotels in Charlotte, NC
Located just across the street from the Spectrum Center, this sleek and stylish hotel places you within walking distance of most of Charlotte’s most popular neighborhoods and also scores highly on comfort and amenities.
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Charlotte Uptown Key Features:
- Located in Uptown Charlotte’s First Wart neighborhood
- Amenities include a bar, gym, restaurant, convenience store, and laundry
- Rooftop event space
- 1 block away from the Epicentre and a few blocks from Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Duke Energy, and uptown bars and restaurants
Located just 3 miles from the airport, this hotel offers a very relaxed vibe, spacious and comfortable rooms, and enough amenities to make trips into the city entirely optional.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlotte Airport Key Features:
- Located 3 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport and 8 miles from recreational activities at the U.S. National Whitewater Center
- Streamlined rooms with Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, microwaves, minifridges and coffeemakers
- Amenities include hot breakfast, parking, an airport shuttle, heated indoor pool, a 24/7 fitness room, a meeting room, and coin-operated laundry facilities
This low-key, laid-back hotel is as about as central as they come and offers easy access to most of Charlotte’s main attractions in addition to a full complement of amenities. Great value for money for those keen to stay in a central location without paying through the nose.
Hampton Inn Charlotte-Uptown Key Features:
- Located in Second Ward, just 2 blocks from the Charlotte Convention Center
- Amenities include an area shuttle service, hot breakfast, breakfast bags to go, an indoor pool, fitness center, convenience store, business center and meeting space
- Rooms have free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs with HD channels, coffeemakers, desks, custom-designed beds
A centrally located hotel with unfussy but very comfortable rooms and a full complement of attractive amenities, including a rooftop splash pool and sun terrace.
Hyatt House Charlotte/Center City Key Features:
- Located next to the Spectrum Center in Uptown Charlotte’s First Ward, within easy walking distance of 7th Street Public Market, the Levine Museum of the New South, Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, and First Ward Park
- Amenities include a hot breakfast buffet, a casual restaurant/bar, a rooftop splash pool and sun terrace, a fitness center, a 24/7 market, and business facilities
- Pet friendly
Located almost equidistant from the airport and downtown Charlotte, this straightforward and superbly convenient hotel offers spacious rooms that score high on comfort and livability and represents an attractive happy medium for visitors who want easy access to the city center without sacrificing the more casual, laid-back vibe of the suburbs.
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Charlotte Airport Key Features:
- Located 6 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport and 7 miles from both the NASCAR Hall of Fame and Charlotte Convention Center
- Rooms and suites with modern décor, plush bedding, comfortable pullout sofas, Smart TVs, high-speed Wi-Fi and ergonomic workstations
- Amenities include breakfast buffet, parking, airport shuttle, a gym, outdoor pool and meeting/event space
This extended-stay residence offers very nicely priced, homely studios and two-room apartments within a short distance of Charlotte’s downtown area.
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Charlotte University Research Park Key Features:
- Extended-stay lodging located 8.3-miles from the Charlotte Motor Speedway and a 10.6-mile drive from Discovery Place
- Single rooms, studios and two-room apartments with free WiFi, fully equipped kitchens, coffeemakers, flat-screen TVs and separate living areas with pull-out sofas available
- Amenities and perks include a free continental breakfast, 24/7 convenience store, seasonal outdoor pool, fitness room, complimentary parking, and a business center
- Pet friendly
For bright, airy rooms in a more peaceful location with outstanding amenities and easy access to the city center, they don’t come much better than this very relaxed, informal hotel just off Highway 77.
Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Northlake Key Features:
- Located off Highway 77, 3 miles from golf and fishing at Hornets Nest Park and 6 miles from Ribbon Walk Nature Preserve
- Amenities include an outdoor pool, fitness center, meeting rooms, restaurant, and bar
- Rooms have free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, minifridges, and coffeemakers
Downtown Hotels in Charlotte, NC
Located in Charlotte’s charming Fourth Ward neighborhood, this vintage-chic hotel is a great choice for those looking for a touch of glamour and old-school elegance at the heart of the action.
The Ivey’s Hotel Key Features:
- Located in Fourth Ward, opposite the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, and a 6-minute walk from the Levine Museum of the New South
- Art deco and mid-century furnishings in vintage-chic rooms
- Pet friendly
- Amenities include free evening drinks in club lounge, a bar, restaurant, and 24-hour gym
Located just across the street from the NASCAR Hall of Fame and the Charlotte Convention Center, this stylish, contemporary all-suite hotel is about as central as they come and offers outstanding amenities, including a saltwater pool, patio lounge, and socials.
Embassy Suites By Hilton Charlotte Uptown Key Features:
- Located in the heart of Center City
- Modern vibe and furnishings
- Amenities include a saltwater pool, fitness room, patio lounge, coffee shop, event space, a ballroom, cooked-to-order breakfasts and evening socials
This award-winning historic hotel in Uptown Charlotte’s Fourth Ward features traditionally decorated rooms and has an elegant, old-school vibe complemented by a large helping of warm, homely Southern charm.
The Dunhill Hotel Key Features:
- Located in the Fourth Ward neighborhood
- Free shuttle service
- Listed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Historic Hotels of America
- Perks and amenities include evening cookies, an upscale Southern restaurant, a 24-hour business center, and meeting and event space
Located in a glass skyscraper adjacent to the Charlotte Convention Center, this sleek, modern hotel is within walking distance of all of downtown Charlotte’s main attractions and offers upscale accommodation at affordable prices.
The Westin Charlotte Key Features:
- Located one minute from the Charlotte Convention Center and NASCAR Hall of Fame
- Amenities include a Southern restaurant with a terrace, a bar, a lobby cafe, 24-hour gym, swimming pool, and meeting space
- Pet friendly
This chic, modern hotel is located in heart of Charlotte’s Uptown financial district and offers a few certain crowd-pleasers in terms of amenities, including a rooftop pool and sundeck.
Omni Charlotte Hotel Key Features:
- Centrally located in the heart of Charlotte’s Uptown financial district
- Pet friendly
- Amenities include a vibrant restaurant, cocktail bar, rooftop pool, sundeck, fitness center, 16,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, and a business center
Located smack bang in the middle of downtown Charlotte, this stylish, modern hotel is a great choice for visitors in search of an upscale feel and the convenience of being able to reach all of the city’s main landmarks and neighborhoods on foot.
Hyatt Place Charlotte Downtown Key Features:
- Located in a high-rise building just a 6-minute walk from the Charlotte Convention Center and 0.8 miles from Bank of America Stadium
- Amenities include a rooftop pool, sundeck, fitness center, coffee and cocktail bar, a 24/7 market cafe, and meeting facilities
- Pet friendly
Hotels for Families in Charlotte, NC
This exquisitely elegant, charming residence in Myers Park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and offers plush, comfortable rooms with enough space for all the family in an outstandingly peaceful location.
The Duke Mansion Key Features:
- Family rooms available
- Located in Myers Park, 2.4 miles from downtown Charlotte
- Amenities and perks include a full breakfast, nightly turndown treats, a guest library, a gym, and event facilities
This classic hotel is located in a European-style shopping center with park benches, fountains and lamp posts and has all the amenities need to keep the whole family entertained for the duration of your stay.
Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte/South Park at Phillips Place Key Features:
- Located in a European-style shopping center South Charlotte’s Barclay Downs
- Family friendly
- Free on-site hot breakfast, weekday breakfast bags to go, free parking, a fitness room, an outdoor pool, hot tub, business center, and 3 meeting rooms
This hotel in South Charlotte has a casual, laid-back vibe, is surrounded by restaurants and commercial plazas, and offers simple, unfussy, but comfortable and spacious rooms for all the family.
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte/South Park Key Features:
- Located in South Park and surrounded by restaurants and commercial plazas
- Family and kid friendly
- Amenities include hot breakfast, free parking, grocery delivery, a heated outdoor pool, a 24-hour gym and a 24/7 convenience store
This straightforward, fuss-free hotel is located just 15 minutes from downtown Charlotte and offers spacious, comfortable, contemporary accommodation at very reasonable prices.
Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte Northlake Key Features:
- Located off I-77 and I-485 close to Lake Norman and only 15 minutes from downtown Charlotte
- Basic but comfortable rooms
- Family friendly
- Amenities and perks include parking, breakfast, an evening reception with drinks and hot food, a gym, an indoor/outdoor pool with a hot tub, a business center and meeting space
Located less than 2 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport, this extended-stay hotel offers a home-away-from-home kind of feel with spacious rooms, fully equipped kitchens, and a wealth of amenities, including an outdoor pool, BBQ grill, fitness room, and laundry facility.
Home2 Suites by Hilton Charlotte Airport Key Features:
- Located under 2 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Family and pet friendly
- Amenities include parking, an airport shuttle, hot breakfast, an outdoor saltwater pool, a BBQ area, fitness room, laundry facilities, 24-hour snack store, and a business center
This budget-priced, all-suite hotel offers a casual vibe and excellent amenities only 5 miles from the airport and a short drive from downtown Charlotte.
Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel Key Features:
- Located 5 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport and the Charlotte Premium Outlets shopping mall
- Family and pet friendly
- Straightforward, frill-free suites come with flat-screen TVs, coffeemakers, separate living areas with pull-out sofas, and kitchenettes with wet bars
- Amenities include a free airport shuttle, an American restaurant, a lobby bar, laundry service, a 24/7 gym and an indoor pool
This Uptown version of the airport hotel listed above offers a highly convenient, central location, a stylish, contemporary vibe, and plenty of family-friendly features in the form of spacious rooms, an outdoor pool, and on-site dining.
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Charlotte Uptown Key Features:
- Located in Uptown Charlotte’s Second Ward neighborhood
- Stylish, contemporary vibe
- Amenities and perks include a free breakfast buffet is free, a modern tavern, a fitness room, an outdoor pool, business center, 11 meeting rooms, and on-site parking